Terry Wesselink is our Continence and Pelvic Health Physiotherapist – she adds to our Blogging repertoire:
As a physiotherapist working in pelvic floor health, I am often surprised by how little my patients know about incontinence. Often my patients think I will be shocked by their problem, or that they are simply wasting my time. I often hear phrases like: “I’ve never told anyone but..” ; “My mum says it runs in the family and I just need to get used to it.” ; “I’m too young to have this problem..” ; “Men don’t leak.”
So I’d like to share 5 facts you probably didn’t know about bladder and bowel problems:
- Bladder and bowel problems can affect men and women of all ages.
- Incontinence is not a normal part of ageing or childbirth.
- Most people never tell anyone or seek help.
- Those people who do seek help, wait an average of 7 years.
- Most people who seek help can be completely cured.
Seek help now! There is a good chance you are suffering unnecessarily. I assure you that your problem will not shock me and you are not the youngest or oldest person with this problem. We need to start the conversation today so that everyone can get the help they deserve.